There are many helpful tips that you should keep in mind in order to keep your new drive in its best possible condition. Here are a few things to remember about asphalt, especially while it’s curing and during warm days:
- Okay to walk on right away
- No automobile traffic for at least 3 days after paving
- Backfill open edges for structural support
- Limit heavy-duty truck traffic
- Don’t park heavy trailers for long periods
- Use caution with motorcycle kickstands
- Avoid using folding chairs on new surface
- Don’t use gasoline, oil, anti-freeze, or transmission fluids over asphalt.
- Try to avoid sealcoating driveway or lot for as long as possible
- Fill potential crack (1/4″ or larger) with a melted rubber product
- Don’t always park vehicle in same spot- Avoid sharply turning vehicle tires & unnecessary acceleration
All of these common actions have the capability of damaging the surface of your pavement, especially during its first year. Excessive weight on concentrated areas will leave indentations in the blacktop, while the listed fluids will prematurely weaken asphalt and cause failure.
If you have any further questions regarding the care of asphalt or have damage that you would like fixed under warranty or otherwise, please don’t hesitate to contact DRS LTD by calling 608-274-4932